Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cheers to the good time I've had and going to have!

It's been an insane amount of time that I've written; Can't say nothing has happened in the meantime; Infact some significant progress has been made in life and profession (Claimer: Don't mean any significant change in roles; but progress nevertheless).

I've had a lot of decisions to make in the last. It's like a snarl-up of wires that you're trying very hard to undo. But it's a matter of just stretching it to its full length and there you are- the tangle is resolved. The questions just get puzzled out themselves sometimes, without having to take much action.

Briefly, I've put in my papers at work for a whole bunch of reasons; Decided to relocate to Indore (hometown) and give a crack at working with Dad in a highly B2B exercise. So for now, maybe no looking out for other branding/market research opportunities;

Agree more than ever that people don't leave jobs, they leave their bosses. It's so important to not let your self-worth get affected by whimsical people around you. It's so important to keep the bigger picture in mind while working in the microcosm of the corporate life. At all times, zoom out and take a macro view. It's so important to know that you have to enjoy doing what you're being made to do because yes, life is passing afterall! Anyhow think that was all the pontification, i could dish up.

Meanwhile, I've got mixed responses from working with folks in the modest town of Indore. I will take it though like this- a golden opportunity to help my folks, make them happier (fyi- our very presence lightens my parents up :)), try and lend my dad a hand at work so he can take Saturdays off; Play tennis and tone up; basically an overhaul.

On the flipside it's babye to Mumbai for now. Truth be told, don't think I have given the city enough opportunity to indulge me. Maybe I can come back sometime in the future and agree to be pleased; I will, though take some professionalism, timeliness, unrelenting attitude, etc, with me, everywhere.

If one has to tap foot in cadence with the city, we've got to first feel the beat and then start to tango. For new comers, don’t just crash into the new rhythm, without knowing that a fair amount of work would be required to settle it in, with the city and its people. Didn't know any metropolis could make such a difference and teach you some. The amount I've discovered, imagined and reimagined about myself in this one year has been brilliant.

Cheers to a Mumbai I haven't gotten to know and the one I've begrudged of some of my other battles. Cheers also to its mild monsoon, when the passage down to the road from my place has looked stunning, under the canopy of trees.

Meanwhile, there's much joy in stumbling upon the radio in the telephone and the several stations they play here in Mumbai, after purchasing the phone some 8 months back.

Also, I was struggling with a few names and words in the start of the day. But both words and thoughts have a talent of finding their way to you, when you are struggling to find them. They may not come to you at the exact time when you might need them, but they do much to alleviate that unsettling feeling that keeps you from moving on or concentrating on things, next.

Looking forward to a fun-filled and enriching home life (some would call it a country-side existence), to the slough-movement, to living with family and other learnings. Looking forward to really sound sleeps after terribly worked-up and tired days. That I know is one sure-shot way of drifting off the minute you lay yourself horizontal.

I've realized that sometimes we might not have enough to write and thinking that may not want to sit down, open the window and start writing. But an open canvas is so inviting and almost prods one to think and then write. It's awesome.

Don't want to commit myself to it but hopefully I'll write next about a different kind of experiences and life that I've only lived and celebrated vicariously or sometime back, in the past.

Later

5 comments:

Gypsy Couple said...

whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ..

Nice Nice Nice ..!!

Sparks said...

a very interesting read for sure!!

'zooming out' is a doctrine i ve always advocated .. nice to know more proponents.

And i think there is a defined threshold, definitely longer than ur stay - the time the city needs to turn one into a non returning refugee.

Welcome to the country side :)

Did u really see nothing but the eye? said...

awesome!
Nothin' better than going back to working in your own home town.
I know you'll have an awesome time back home. Cheers!

cynduja said...

"If one has to tap foot in cadence with the city, we've got to first feel the beat and then start to tango."

I loved what you've written here...Mumbai is a developed taste, impossible to get over once used to it!!

Best of luck. Every decision is a right decision, cos its the only one that you make :)

cinnamon said...

@ Rishabh- Thanks Much :)
@ Sparks- Thanks. :) I'll go back sometime...also think, everyone should definitely spend some time in Mumbai and its rush.
@ Did you really see....- Yes, I hope to have a great time at home!!
@ Cynduja- Thanks :) Agreed...You love Mumbai don't you!!